Monday, April 13, 2009

Funbrain :)





Today teaching has become a circus act. Teachers constantly are juggling time management, students’ needs as well as ways to incorporate all areas of curriculum. Funbrain.com is a website that not only can be used for arcade type games but it also can be woven into your classroom curriculum. There are five components of the website: Kids, Parents, Quiz Lab, Free Games and Teachers. If you click on the link for teachers, you can access resources for your classroom. You can use the FunBrain Game finder to find games that are suitable for your classrooms needs depending the subject area and grade level. You can also use the Curriculum Guide to choose games that are appropriate for your class. The FunBrain Standards Finder bases activities based off the McREL standards. Lastly, you can use the FunBrain Math Flash cards to have the students practice on their own. I think that this site would not only interest your students but it would also allow you to extend what is being learned in a class lesson to be practiced on their own during groups and perhaps even at home. Most of the games are highly interactive, appropriate for all grade and learning levels as well as engaging. For the most part the students will not know they are learning (Especially in the Math Arcade)J
Explore the website for yourself.
http://www.funbrain.com/
What are the pros and cons of the site? Do you think it is beneficial to include technology into the classroom? If so, why? How would you use this site within your classroom planning?

6 comments:

  1. This is a really cute site! I think using this technology as a resource would really benefit the students because this site makes learning fun! It is important not to lean on these sites too heavily and it is also important to research any site that we recommend to our students thoroughly for accuracy and content. I especially liked the Proton Don game, which would help make learning the periodic table more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this site! I agree with Katie- this site makes learning really fun for students! Kids often need to be motivated and engaged in order to learn something and I think this site provides that engagement opportunity. I think it is always a good idea to use technology within the classroom because our world is becoming so technology driven. It is important for children to become familiar with technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a really fun site!! I can see myself using this in my own classroom one day. The games are really interactive and require students to recall information they have learned in class and apply it to the games. I think it is very beneficial to include technology in the classroom if it is done in the right way. As long as students are getting curriculum enrichment or learning a computer skill while on the computer, incorporating technology into the classroom is a fun learning tool for students. I liked the Poptropica games because they were both challenging (for content) and fun (for the video game feel).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the sites that can be used by both the teachers and the students, because they usually have relating activities. I really like interactive sites like this as well, because I find myself wanting to learn more. I like how you can choose how hard you want the games, so anyone has the chance to use the website to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a great idea! It is so much more difficult to capture the attention of kids these days because they are used to being in front of computer games and the television. When you make learning fun by incorporating games, the students will not only pay attention but they will retain more information because they are experiencing what they are learning. They are actively learning when they have the chance to play games that incorporate important lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I especially like this website because it can be used outside of the classroom.. if kids at home have limited computer time, they might use it doing activities on here rather than sites like Facebook, etc. I definitely want to be able to make learning as fun as possible, because I feel like learning that is enjoyed is much more beneficial and likely to be remembered, so I will definitely be using this!

    ReplyDelete