Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Plethora of resources...

We are so lucky to be in a generation where information and technologies are so easily and readily accessible. I love learning about new technologies from others and implementing them into my own aspiring profession. This leads me to http://teachertube.com/ . It provides a plethora of resources through videos from other teachers. It is the sister site to youtube.com, and provides more specific topics related to teaching--from technologies in the classroom to teaching strategies to tips for classroom management.
Of course, with any website, there is the issue of validity and legitimacy-- how do we know if their information is correct? With unregulated sites, we always need to be cautious of the information that is one the web. As long as we are able to decipher the junk from the useful, I think that this site can provide a lot of resources for us. What are your thoughts about these types of sites? Do you think they will be useful in your teaching career? Do you have any doubts or hesitation?

4 comments:

  1. As with any website like youtube, I do have my reservations with teachertube, but I do feel like it is a more legitimate and reliable resource. I really like this ability we have to connect with other people in our profession, and I think it's incredible that we can share knowledge and insight with people this easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned about teachertube at the beginning of the semester, and I was so amazed by it! I had never heard of such a thing before, and was excited to know that Youtube had created a version of the site specifically for the purpose of teaching. While I do have slight reservations about validity issues, I heard from someone that all of the videos posted on teachertube are related to education and/or have been used in the past for educational purposes. Also, as well-educated students I think that we would be able to distinguish "good" videos from "bad" videos when looking for teaching resources and supplements. I am excited to be able to use teachertube in my classroom one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that websites like these can be useful up to a certain extend. I say this because although they can provide good ideas for teachers, how will I know whether the information given is valid? I think that sites like these are useful when trying to get ideas on how to creatively teach something, but instead of solely focusing a site like teachertube, I would also rely on scholarly research. I think it is important for educators to not fall into the trap of fully relying on sites like these since anyone can post something on them (just like wikipedia). Before using a webpage like this one I highly encourage people to research the content and who it was that posted the video. By saying this I am not fully stating that sites like these are horrible. As a matter of fact, I think that these sites can help educators teach content through effective videos. All I am insinuating is that we must be careful with the types of videos we choose and how they are used in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is a great resource, but can understand the fear of legitimacy. Who knows what people are making these videos, or if they are even teachers? I do, however, think that it would be very useful, especially if you are stuck on what kind of lesson to do for a class.

    ReplyDelete